Rhiwbina RFC | 1st Team 20 - 32 Brecon RFC | 1st Team
Dafydd Edwards
1 Try
Dean John Gunter
3 Conversion
2 Drop Goal
Richard Llewelyn Davies
1 Try
David Elgan Lewis
1 Try
Lewys Cooke
1 Try

Match Report
13 January 2019 / Team News

Brecon sink Squirrels in Plate

Saturday 12th January 2019

WRU National Plate Round 4


In an entertaining and fully-committed game visitors Brecon came out on top and go forward to the quarter finals, where they will be a match for any remaining team in the competition. For most of the time it was a closely contested game, but Brecon kept up an intensity to their performance right up to the final whistle.  The Squirrels showed why they are having a great season and but for two key misjudgements, the result could have been very different.  Brecon have clearly recruited wisely and have developed a style of play that ensures continued attacking possession in all parts of the pitch. Rhiwbina contested fully in all aspects of play and every player gave everything – non more so than Pat Ware who had one of his best games for the club, scoring two tries.

It was 16 minutes before either team got on the scoreboard as all early efforts were extinguished by both sides through tremendous tackling and counter-rucking.  Rhiwbina were foiled with an early line out and drive and Brecon knocked on with the line at their mercy. Brecon outside half Dean Gunter put Brecon ahead with a penalty kick, but right from the re-start Olly flattened the catcher and a burst from Josh Moscardini and Josh Trewartha forced Brecon to concede a penalty which Lewis Pearce slotted over to bring the scores level – despite what sounded like a deliberate Who Wants to be a Millionaire cough from somewhere behind the posts!

Brecon then got themselves in an attacking position in the far corner and they made it tell with a try, converted by Gunter. Brecon kept up the pressure and crossed for their second try, making the score 3-15. It was then Rhiwbina’s turn to attack as they were camped in the scoreboard corner for about 10 minutes.  Brecon were penalised time and again, but the Rhiwbina pack kept up the pressure and eventually crossed for a well-deserved try, and it was Pat Ware who was at the bottom of the drive to claim the score, and that made it 10-15 at the interval.

Brecon dropped the ball from the re-start and some great passing saw Dafydd have a great run down the left wing to be held up just short of the line.  Rhiwbina then switched the ball right and a kick to the corner by Loren was only just cleared.  Rhiwbina attacked from the line out but a pass was intercepted by the speedy Brecon left wing and he sped all the way to score, converted by Gunter. But Rhiwbina were not daunted and fought back almost immediately with a tremendous forward drive.  The ball was then swiftly passed out right through several pairs of hands and Josh Moscardini finished off by bursting through to score an excellent team try in the fire-station corner. James Griffiths put in a great clearance kick then Matt Williams had a great run to the fire-station corner and Brecon were penalised.  From the line out another forward drive by Rhiwbina saw Pat Ware cross for his second try, and with 12 minutes left on the clock it was game on. The Brecon No5 was then shown a yellow card for a dangerous high tackle, but the resultant line out was lost and Brecon were able to clear their lines. Brecon were then able to keep the ball and from a patient build-up they made their way upfield and scored a match-clinching try under the posts, which was converted to make the final score 20-32.

We wish Brecon all the best in the quarter finals and the Squirrels look forward to a return to league action next week as we welcome Llantrisant to Caedelyn.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos