Rumney RFC | 1st Team 3 - 7 Rhiwbina RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
01 September 2018 / Team News

Winning start at Rumney

With the normal rugby pitch being cut for hay, the action moved to the former Llanrumney FC football ground next door. There were times when you could have been forgiven for thinking that the ref had turned up to officiate at a football match – although if he had, at least the high tackles might have been punished!

Rhiwbina suffered a late blow with two props unavailable. In the case of Cameron Neal it was due to a very nasty accident at work, and it was good to see him there with all his hand intact. So it was a very rare occurrence to see the Rhiwbina scrums under pressure, but there was some great clearing up work done by Olly Golden and the dependable Rhys Fenton, who put in a man of the match performance, seemingly covering every blade of grass.  Rumney started off with a bang and threw away some early scoring chances, before the first of many Olly Golden runs saw the Rhiwbina line cleared. Dave Pontin stole the first of several lineouts, but Rhiwbina lost the ball and Rumney won a penalty in the Rhiwbina 22 and Danny Clark opened the scoring. Then came a great run by winger Matt Williams, who was held up just short. Sion Parry stole a lineout, but the resulting penalty and drive was held up by Rumney and they cleared their lines. Dafydd made ground up the left, but once again the ball was lost.  Josh Davies put in a tremendous clearance kick and the Rumney defender was trapped by Ben Sharif. Rhiwbina attacked but once again the ball went loose, and Rumney cleared their lines thanks to another penalty against Rhiwbina. Clark missed a penalty before Rhiwbina finally found themselves on the front foot in the Rumney 22.  Matt Williams had another great run and was held up just short. This time Rhiwbina kept possession before passing left and Jamie Deabreu was there to take the final pass and score a try, superbly converted by Lewis Pearce.

40 minutes were on the clock, but there was so much action in 10 minutes of added time that I filled two pages of my notebook. Rhiwbina were again penalised, this time at the tackle, and the senior coach was apoplectic! Rumney drove for the Rhiwbina line and this led to a yellow card for Lewis, and shortly after Josh Moscardini was shown yellow for supposedly smacking down a pass.  The Rhiwbina defence was superb, with Fenton again outstanding, and they amazingly held out until the half time whistle was blown.

To make things worse, Jamie had to go off at half time, to be replaced by utility prop Pat Howell. Rumney continued to pressurise Rhiwbina at the scrums.  Olly managed to clear up well, and after a great run was subjected to a cheap shot by one of the Rumney players.  Given the reason for the previous two yellow cards, it was a disgrace that the ref settled only for a word of warning.  Lewis Pearce then set up Mike Curtis for a strong run down the right, but guess what? Yes, Rhiwbina were penalised again. An intercepted loose ball saw Josh Davies sprint for the line from half way, but he was held just short.  Rory came on for James Griffiths, who had an excellent game, with 15 minutes to go. Rhiwbina looked solid with the ball kept tight, and Josh Trewartha relieved the superb Olly Golden, and promptly went on a great run.  With more high tackles missed and the scrum under pressure, it was a great effort by the Squirrels to hang on for the final few minutes for a great win. A great team effort to get us off to a winning start.


Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos