St Josephs RFC | 1st Team 14 - 13 Rhiwbina RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
03 February 2019 / Team News

The Joes snatch a last-gasp one point win

Match Report

Saturday 2nd February 2019


The Joes snatch a last gasp win as the Squirrels get stuck in the mud

Rhiwbina scored two superb tries but, as the game went into added time, there was an inevitability somehow that the home team might snatch a late victory.  And so it came to pass – after attacking the Rhiwbina line for several minutes, and with the Squirrels showing great discipline, the Joes were awarded a penalty right in front of the posts and Lee Marshall slotted it over and the ref blew for time. The spectators were not really aware that the penalty had been awarded against Rhiwbina, but it came as no surprise that the whistle-happy official had given it and the game ended very anticlimactically, but not so for the Joes players who had pulled off a vital win against their bitter local rivals.

Rhiwbina took an early lead with a very well-worked try.  First Jamie and Josh T made excellent ground, then Jamie again went right and Josh Moscardini timed his run superbly to make an inside pass to Kris Richards who raced over for the try.  Then came a few moments of farce as Lewis Pearce’s kicking tee was not found! He ended up having to drop-kick the conversion attempt which was not successful. Josh Mosco dealt really well with all high kicks sent his way, and Dafydd was always on hand to field any other kicks, making good ground on every occasion. Rhys Fenton was shown a yellow card at the breakdown and then Rhiwbina had a period of extended attack in the changing room corner.  Scrum after scrum were foiled or penalised, until finally the Joes were mytseriously awarded a penalty at a scrum which hadn’t even moved, and so it remained 0-5 at the break.

The Joes were penalised early on and Lewis kicked Rhiwbina into the top corner.  This time Rhiwbina secured the ball and patiently made their way towards the line before releasing the backs who handled smartly, and Josh Mosco again made the final pass to Kris Richards who crossed for his second try. Josh was injured after a late cheap-shot hit and later had to leave the field. The Joes touch-judge was told to behave himself by the ref as he went over to warn their club officials.

Lee Marshall then kicked a penalty for the Joes, before Dafydd again set up an attacking platform for the Squirrels. Another strange decision at the scrum handed the advantage to the Joes and Marshall ended up reducing the arrears with his second penalty. Dafydd yet again caught a high ball and set up the attack and the Joes were penalised and Lewis kicked the penalty to make it 6-13.

St Joes then mounted a concerted attack through their forwards and after a number of drives they crossed for a try, and Marshall hit the post with his conversion meaning the Squirrels were 11-13 ahead with just minutes remaining.  And so we came to those vital few minutes and what seemed like that inevitable and match-winning penalty.

Rhiwbina remain in second place, and we’ll take it on the chin and work hard to get back to winning ways on 16th Feb at home to Dinas Powys.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos