Rhiwbina RFC | 1st Team 24 - 8 St Josephs RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
22 October 2018 / Team News

Bowden soars to take the Squirrels top






A towering performance against St. Joseph’s by Man of the Match, Kris Bowden, helped Rhiwbina secure their fifth win of the season and a lofty position at the top of the league.  Kris contributed all over the field, but it was his lineout dominance that was the standout feature of his game, getting his hand to the ball on the opposition throw at vital moments.


The least said about the first half, the better.  It was a scrappy forty minutes with both sides unable to string together any telling passages of play.  Turnovers were turned over, the scrum was a stalemate and inaccurate passes were accurately dropped to the floor on countless occasions.  Just before the half time whistle, St. Joseph’s broke the deadlock when outside half, Lee Marshall, slotted a penalty.


Rhiwbina are blessed with some talented flankers this season and when Rhys Fenton was forced off early in the second half with an injury, he was replaced by the impressive Rhys Morgans.  He made an immediate impact, combining with Dafydd Williams to cut through the St. Joseph’s defence.  The play resulted in a try for Ben Shariff, who doesn’t need a second invitation when he has some space and the whitewash in sight.  The game came to life.  Rhiwbina realised the gains were to be made by spreading the ball wide and when they did, backs and forwards combined well to create space and opportunities.  In a move the players will enjoy watching again during the game analysis session, Mike Curtis sprinted down the touchline, used great strength in the tackle to offload the ball as he went to ground and created the opportunity for Josh Davies and Olly Golden to swap passes before Olly went over for a try to take the lead 10-3.


When it looked like Rhiwbina were about to get the upper hand in the game, St. Joseph’s broke down the blind side from a scrum and despite having the ball ripped from his grasp as he went over the line, Jacob Brennan was awarded a try – 10-8.  It was the last time St Joseph’s threatened in the second half.  Tries from Lewis Pearce (clever dummy and jink to ease past the defence), and Smithy (breaking away from lineout ball caught skilfully by Cameron Neal at the back), which were both converted by Pearce killed the game off.  Mark Desogus, Pat Ware, Ben McStay and Gerwyn Neale came on with fresh legs and lungs to keep the pressure on until the final whistle. 









Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos