Llantrisant RFC | 1st Team 20 - 25 Rhiwbina RFC | 1st Team
Lewis Morgan
Try 1
Jack Bunyan
Try 1
Morgan Raison
Conversion 2
Penalty 2

Match Report
06 October 2018 / Team News

Jamie Dabs helps see off the Black Army

With the Black Army playing in green, some of the locals got a bit confused with their offsides, and they were even more disgruntled as the excellent Lewis Pearce slotted over two late penalties to secure a win for the Squirrels. The sun actually came out half way through the second half, but Rhiwbina’s Jamie Deabreu shone throughout the game to put in a superb all-round man of the match performance, popping up all over the field to make vital tackles, clear up loose balls and make telling runs.

Rhiwbina almost started the game in dramatic fashion as Llantrisant dropped the kick off and but for a drop-on Olly Golden would have been over for a try.  Rhiwbina put Llan under pressure in the scrums right from the start and Olly Golden made some telling runs throughout the game.  However, it was Llan that took the lead with a Morgan Raison penalty.  The Rhiwbina pack then went on a 30 metre rolling maul which led to a 5 metre scrum.  Rhiwbina steamrollered the Llan eight and Olly Golden touched down for the try which wasn’t converted against the strong breeze. Some poor decision making led to some telling runs by the Llan backs, who continued to look dangerous throughout the match. Another Rhiwbina drive led to a penalty and an argy-bargy, but Rhiwbina put the ball in the clubhouse corner and a 5 metre scrum drive led to a penalty try to make the score 3-12. Llan continued to attack but some great Rhiwbina defensive work kept them at bay, with Ben Shariff back from his lung problem, making a few decisive stops. Llan then scored an excellent try as dangerous full-back Lewis Montague put winger Jack Bunyan over in the corner, well converted by Raison. Llan took the lead just before half time as Raison kicked a penalty to make the half time score 13-12.

Rhiwbina won an early scrum against the head and with Llan attacking both Scouser and Loren Quick put in two long clearance kicks.  Smithy made yet another 10 metres, and further carries saw Jamie pass neatly to Mike Curtis who crossed near the corner, superbly converted by Lewis to make it 13-19 to Rhiwbina.  Llan got their act together in the scrums, giving them more attacking options, but time and again Rhiwbina players made decisive tackles.  Chris and Kris took clean line out ball throughout the game and Rhiwbina were able to set up attacks from these situations. Loren went just wide with a dropped-goal attempt and then Jamie was on hand to foil a Llan attack by covering on the far touchline and scooping up a kick through. With Lan attacking from about 20 metres out Loren put in a tremendous tackle under the posts which could be heard in Talbot Green, but all this hard work was to no avail as the ball then went loose and Lewis Morgan ran in under the posts and Raison converted to make it 20-19 for the home team. 

But the Squirrels weren’t finished and Ben Shariff held the catcher from the kick-off and Llan were penalised, and Lewis confidently slotted over the penalty to regain the lead.  Rhiwbina secured the catch from the kick-off and worked their way upfield as the clock ticked into additional time. Llan shoulder-charged Smithy and Lewis again slotted over the penalty to leave the locals very unhappy as the ref blew for time with the final score at 20-25.

Rhiwbina made it hard work for themselves at times and the Llan backs looked dangerous, but grit, commitment, team-work and determination saw the Squirrels take what could be a decisive four points, as they retained their second spot in Division One East Central. Glamorgan Wanderers were beaten at home by Treorchy, so that sets up a tasy encounter for the Squirrels next week at The Oval - we need as much support as we can, so look forward to seeing you there.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos