Rhiwbina RFC | 1st Team 19 - 10 Cambrian Welfare RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
23 September 2018 / Team News

It's Rhiwbina Abú for Sean Monaghan



by Steve Woodfine

Despite the rain, Caedelyn Park was in pretty good shape to welcome newly promoted Cambrian Welfare, who brought with them some enthusiastic supporters.  Their impressive start to the season gave them the confidence they could cause an upset and they certainly gave us a scare in the first 10 minutes.  Our organised and resolute defence finally gave way to pressure when, after 11 minutes on the clock, Alex Williams found some space and raced over for a try from 10 yards out.  The conversion was successful.  Cambrian led by 7.


There were some brutal but fair hits from both sides in the first 15 minutes and we spent much of it in our own half.  The constant cries of “offside, offside” from the opposition supporters seemed at first to be just wishful thinking but on the 20th minute mark we conceded a penalty just inside our 22.  With some left to right assistance from the wind, the ball cleared the upright for another 3 points.  We were now behind by 10 and Cambrian had their tails up, encouraged by their supporters who by now were understandably confident of more points and their fourth win on the trot.  And that’s when things changed.


After the early scare, the Squirrels kept the ball in hand as much as they could in the wet conditions.  Both sides struggled to get any momentum with loose passes and spills but ironically, that’s what turned the game for us.  We dominated the breakdown and set piece and we started to make inroads into the opposition half.  A rolling mall from Smithy and the boys yielded a score for Olly Golden on the half hour mark.  After a mix up with the kicking tees Scouse stepped up and slotted the ball over for the 2.  The only answer Cambrian had to our power and precision in the set piece was to find a loose lace or a sore calf to delay the put-in for a breather.  They were on the ropes and we took advantage with a driving lineout that saw Cameron Neal dive on the ball for another 5 points just before half time.  It was 12-10 at the break. 


The second half was probably the best display this season from our boys.  They were determined not to concede any more points.  They put their bodies on the line for each other and time and time again, they frustrated Cambrian with their dogged defence.  Half hour into the second half, the grafter, Jamie DeAbreu, was rewarded with a try after six phases of play in front of the posts.  The final passage of play put paid to Olly Golden’s massive contribution, who left the field after a clash of heads.  Lewis Pearce kicked the conversion to make it 19-10.


With some astute and timely substitutions in the last ten minutes, we continued to keep Cambrian at bay until the final whistle.  It was a tough decision for the coaches to select a Man of the Match because to a man, every player made their mark.  They finally settled on Sean Monaghan or “Sean Irish” as he’s quickly become known to everyone.  In his first start for the 1st XV, Sean impressed with his all round play but especially at the breakdown and with ball in hand.  He later told me his Dad’s tweet at the end of the game, Luimneach Abú, was a reference to Limerick’s All Ireland Hurling Final win in the summer and a way of showing support for the team.  It’s Gaelic for ‘to Limerick the victory’.  Croeso i Riwbeina Sean!

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos